their daily experiences with various brands, products and companies. That figure compares to 86% of the South African population, which is 17% higher than the global average. These stats position SA the most talkative country in the world about brands.
Using WOM as a Marketing Strategy
The use of social media for businesses is almost an imperative in South Africa. The chance of generating awareness with traditional media is
1-in-325, through WOM there is a 1-in-3 chance.
Larger corporations in SA mostly use traditional marketing (TV, radio, print) to advertise their brands. The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) operates 4 TV stations, the SABC radio network. There are 3.751 million internet hosts. The stats show that those traditional-marketing-using-companies could be missing a great opportunity of reaching their consumers more effectively.
“Word of Mouth has always been the most powerful form of advertising, and even more so now! We don’t trust advertisers and salespeople as much, so we’re looking for referrals from real people we know and trust” -global.womf.com
Word of Mouth Forum is a forum style platform where consumers share their experience and opinions about brands and services. On the forum local business get to hear what their customers have to say about them and on which areas they could improve.
Three Reasons why WOMF is different from other SM networks
1. It’s good for the consumer and the company: Consumers can make easier decision on brands and also share their opinions with their entire community. It’s an easy way for companies to receive feedback negative or positive.
Whenever a business name is mentioned in a conversation “E-lerts” will be sent out to those subscribed to receive them and they can immediately join the convo.
3. Not limited to friends and followers: Conversations held on WOMF reach local communities, this allows local users read about
businesses in their area.
I personally like the idea of WOMF, because of the following list of reasons:
– It’s targeted per community so that increases the relevance for readers and organizations;
– It’s not a forum to gossip or completely bash others. It actually works in favour of both parties;
– The companies get “E-lerst” whenever you mention them;
I think it’s the ideal online platform for SA consumers, because it gives them a central forum to go and read about a business and in doing so it may affect a change in consumer behavior which will be beneficial to the user and the business.